Thursday, July 30, 2009

Busy Sewing Day

Wednesday is the day that I spend playing cards, so I didn't get anything done in my sewing room. But today, I was able to spend most of the day sewing, and made a lot of progress on two projects. I got a lot of the cutting done for the Signature Quilt block exchange. I cut all the background fabric squares, and realized I don't have nearly enough. Oh well, one more trip to the quilt shop. What a horrible prospect! (I don't know how I'd get through the week without at least one trip to look at fabric.)

I made a couple of blocks and realized how much waste there would be from all those little triangles being cut off 2 corners of each block. I decided to sew them up into squares, but after doing those first four, I knew it was going to be a real chore. So, since I have to draw a line down through the center of each square anyway, I could just draw a parallel line 1/2 inch away. Then just sew them on both lines and cut them apart.
Worked like a charm, and with just a little extra effort, I have 72 of these cute little blocks. I'm not sure what I'll use them for, but possibly a pieced border for this quilt? I'll see later.

I made about 36, and wanted to do something else. The Scrappy Christmas blocks are due (Sept 1) long before the CW Sig blocks and I hadn't even started them. The sample block I made didn't come close to the required measurement, so after I found where I made my mistake, I got busy and got them all done through the first round. I think I'm going to like them, and I hope those who receive them in the swap like them as well. I'll post a picture when they're done.

On Monday I promised myself that I would make at least one of the squares (circles?) for my Double Wedding Ring quilt each day. Otherwise, with all the other projects I have underway, it will never get done. I started it in April and so far, don't have even one row done. So anyway, I made one on Monday and Tuesday, but none yesterday and today. Now after only 4 days, I'm two blocks behind. 3 blocks tomorrow?


Tonya's Sewing Room said...

Sounds like you've been SUPER busy with all those blocks. Looks good so far.

Needled Mom said...

You have been busy with sewing, but it sounds like a perfect day.

I can't imagine what a terrible chore it must have been to visit the quilt store....oh dread!!! ;)