Saturday, June 5, 2010

Pincushions

I have been trying to get a post together for days, and sit with this computer in my lap and don't seem to have a thing to say.  So I hope this won't be too boring.

I haven't worked on my SBS quilt, so I put on block together yesterday.  The pictures not very good, and in fact, I think I'll remake it because the center quarter square triangle squares don't have enough contrast.  Looks a little blah.
Do you remember the old pin cushion I told you about recently?  Well, even after I had received the lovely one from Lynda I still had my old one on my sewing table.  I stuck a needle in it and it went all the way into the pincushion.  I thought I could make it come back out, but when I pressed on it, my finger under the bottom got stuck by pins in 2 places.  I figured since it was no good anyway, I'd take it apart and get my needle out of the top and the 2 from the bottom that had stuck me.  I snipped it apart and poured out some of the filling out (I don't know what it was), and 5 needles fell out.  I was amazed.  When I gingerly put my finger inside I could feel others, so I found a shallow bowl and poured it all out.  Would you believe there were 61 needles in that little ball?!  I had always wondered what became of my needles as I finished projects, but never dreamed they were being "eaten up" by the pincushion! 

Still on the subject of pincushions, I made myself one since I do need to have more than one, but I'm not going to show you because it's really pretty bad.  I'm still going to count it as a June finish, but no one will ever see it.

I've kept myself very busy with sewing.   My red and aqua blocks are all done and I've started quilting them using quilt as you go.  I'll show it when I have a little done.  I've been steadily working on the triangles for my DJ quilt, and they are very different from piecing a block.  It's not really harder, just different to try and shape a triangle instead of a square. 

I've also made a lot of progress with the Red White and Blue swap blocks.  I've finished all of those I received in the swap and I'm making more to complete a bed size quilt.  Here are some of the latest completions.



8 comments:

Pat said...

WOW.....that is a LOT of needles to be hiding in that pincushion!!! Love your DJ triangles and your RWB blocks, too. Your post wasn't boring...don't be so SILLY!

Terry said...

Pat took the words right out of my mouth! LOL I can't believe you found that many needles in your pincushion! LOL

Unknown said...

what is quilt as you go? your rwb blocks look perfect, their so crisp and straight.

Searchfamilies said...

What lovely blocks & triangles well done, & i am sure what ever you do with the Pincushions they will look great
Hugs Janice

Pip said...

I have an old pincushion which often has a few needles hiding in it, they just seemm to migrate there. Interesting blog post not boring at all.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a socks in the dryer mystery;) Glad to see that you are getting to do lots of sewing, crafty stuff;) I think I need more than one sewing machine going at a time to beat this cabin fever I am developing;)
Happy Quilting!!

sewfunquilts said...

Wow..that's sure a lot of needles in one pincushion.

I am shameless...yes, and begging too!

I am asking for you to go and vote for me (sewmeow) and please tell all your friends/family/bloggers..everyone..to do it too, over at Bejeweled Quilts by Barb's blog. I am one of 5 finalists to win a FREE GO cutter from her blog and need everyone's votes, as I am falling behind in votes. The contest ends on Sunday night. Here's the link:

http://bejeweledquilts.blogspot.com/2010/06/what-stressful-daywaitingand-waitingand.html

Thanks sew much everyone!

Unknown said...

they look great...I am hoping to do all mine on the friday night sew in coming up.