Thursday, September 3, 2009

D9P Completed Flimsy

Well, the D9P top is finally finished. Now comes the part that I absolutely detest - basting. No matter how I do it, it absolutely kills my back. I'll start pinning it this evening, and then try to find a better way to baste than I have in the past.  Maybe on my kitchen counter? I have a large island area, and that may work.  We'll see.  There's no big rush, because I've just ordered the stencils for the quilting. 

Also, since it's now September, I have to check up on my swap obligations, and make sure I don't miss any deadlines.  I'm in a Christmas block swap and the deadline for it is the 15th.  I always like to get mine mailed early, so I started on the block this afternoon.  Honestly, sometimes it seems that cutting one block is harder than cutting a whole quilt.  I'm using the instructions for a quilt, and of course, it tells me to "cut 10 strips of color A", etc. I have a hard time telling what I'm really supposed to cut for just one block.  The colors, of course, are not at all true.
I decided last week to go ahead and make the Christmas tree skirt instead of a table cover, so I worked on that as well.  I guess anything to keep from basting. I didn't have one piece of Christmas fabric to make the whole back, so I found the largest I could, and added edges to make it large enough.  Who cares what the back will look like anyway?  No one else will ever see the back, because the tree skirt is for me, and I'm the one who decorates and undecorates the trees. The front looks good though. I'll post it when it's completed.

8 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Yes, the basting is such a pain!

The block looks really neat. I know what you mean about it being easier to cut a whole quilt. It seems to take the same amount of time.

Barb said...

Love the quilt...yes, sometimes certain things just have to be done and sometimes it is no fun but the end results will be awesome!!!

Searchfamilies said...

The D9P is looking good as is the block well done
Hugs Janice

Pat said...

I find my kitchen island is a good height for basting quilt tops. I'm sure your tree skirt is going to be wonderful. LOVE your D9P!!!

Twisted Quilts said...

The D9P looks great. I hate basting too. I wish there was a better way. I have tried the floor and it is so hard on your back. The last few times I have used my dining room table.

Tangos Treasures said...

Wow it looks beautiful!! Yes I'd try the island! Anything to save the back!

Unknown said...

I love that D9P, I need to try that, I've never tried this method before.

Dena said...

Nice job on your Christmas Swap Block.