Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy Labor Day

It's done! The dreaded basting is complete.  The kitchen island was perfect.  The height is right and if my back needed it, I could support my weight against the counter with no problem.  So, now the new sandwich is ready for the quilting.  I'll show it when  it's complete, which could be some time since I'm a handquilter.

I spent a lot of time today cutting and sewing for the Double Wedding Ring quilt.  I'm not sure how much more I need to cut, but I'm going to sew up everything I have and then count.  The number of pieces in this quilt is quite amazing.

I also haven't forgotten about Dear Jane, and made a block for her today.  I machine sewed this one and have decided that I will use whichever seems to work best for each block. For now, that brings my total all the way to 2! 
Sorry it's so fuzzy.  It's really square, not all wonky like the picture.

When I came home from shopping (for fabric) on Saturday, my husband was outside to tell me not to open the garage door.  Apparently, when I closed it on my way out, the spring in the opener had broken.  Boy, am I glad I wasn't around when it happened. I've always been afraid of those heavy springs, wires and chains. So just one more thing that needs to be repaired.  Repairs are never-ending, I guess.

5 comments:

Searchfamilies said...

like the fabric for the wedding ring quilt & nice DJ block, it nornally me who does the garage door in as well seems if you have a property there is alway just one more thing to do lol
Hugs Janice

Unknown said...

i love the looks of that double wedding ring quilt in the making, can't wait to see that complete

Twisted Quilts said...

I have used my kitchen counter before but I have to clean it off and we use our kitchen so much that it doesn't give me much time. It is a great height.

Pat said...

You are getting a lot done!!! Thanks for sharing your photos. I use my kitchen island a lot for the same reason you discovered...the height works well for me when basting and even when cutting.

Dena said...

Beautiful colors on your Double Wedding Ring. Can't wait to see some of the blocks assembled.